HITACHI UNVEILS NEW ULTRAVISION® FLAT PANEL TELEVISION MODELS
-- Eleven Ultra-Slim HDTV Models Deliver Cinematic Images in Sleek Designs --
SAN DIEGO, May 27, 2005 – The Home Electronics Division of Hitachi America, Ltd., a subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd. (NYSE: HIT), www.hitachi.us/tv, today launched its 2005 flat panel television line with seven product lines that combine revolutionary plasma and LCD technologies with sophisticated designs. The new line includes several stunning 42- and 55-inch plasma HDTVs; a series of LCD flat panel HDTVs with 26-, 32- and 37-inch displays; and a 42-inch enhanced-definition plasma model.
Hitachi’s 2005 flat panel HDTVs utilize proprietary technologies in dramatic industrial designs in a range of sizes from 26- to 55-inches. For UltraVision® models, the company’s next-generation VirtualHD™ 1080p II video processing technology incorporates new histogram processing algorithms for enhanced contrast, sharpness, gamma and color for a clearer, sharper picture.
“Hitachi’s expanded flat panel product line for 2005 is designed to increase our share of market in both high definition plasma and LCD segments.” said Leo Delaney, Vice President, marketing, Hitachi America, Ltd., Home Electronics Division. “Our new product line utilizes the most advanced proprietary plasma and LCD technologies to bring the smooth image quality of film to home theater.”
UltraVision® HDS52 Plasma HDTV Series
The 42-inch 42HDS52 and 55-inch 55HDS52 models include exclusive features and plasma technologies to produce a cinema-like home viewing experience:
• New Ultra-Slim form factor with narrow side speakers and all black finish.
• New “All-in-One” design with comprehensive feature package and connectivity.
• Power Swivel by remote is standard for the 42-inch model and optional for the 55-inch model.
• New VirtualHD™ 1080p II with 12-bit/68-billion color capability and dynamic histogram processing to improve contrast, color, sharpness and gamma by processing each video frame as a digital still image. Every frame is analyzed and optimized in real time for a sharp, smooth and seamless image.
• The Alternate Lighting of Surfaces (ALiS) panel technology minimizes the barriers between pixels to deliver more than one million pixels in the 42-inch screen size. ALiS is designed to match line for line with the viewable center 1024 lines of the 1080i HDTV system, reproducing finer details than any plasma in its class. Hitachi has also enhanced the gas and phosphor formulation to deliver a 10 percent brighter picture as well as a 60,000-hour useful life rating.
• Hitachi’s WXGA display technology for 55-inch screen sizes dedicates more screen surface to the actual viewable picture area. Brighter pixels, combined with a black matrix between them, deliver a brilliant picture with deeper, truer colors and better contrast. VirtualHD™ 1080p II utilizes reverse pull down for native 1080i and 480i film sources to reproduce the smoothest image possible.
• The Quick Start Seamless HDTV and NTSC Tuners deliver the picture quickly with seamless access to all available channels.
• CableCARD™ compatibility provides simplified “one remote control” operation for cable programming on participating systems.
• The new Learning AV NET IV simplifies operation of complete home theater systems with one convenient interface. Infra-red (IR) repeaters integrate with on-screen software keys to control up to four components. Consumers can control external components like DVD players, VCRs and AV receivers or the smart AV NET can "learn" new IR commands.
• An Illuminated Roll & Click™ Remote offers a slim ergonomic design and backlit buttons for easy use. The unique rolling wheels make it easy to quickly change the channels or adjust the volume.
• Hitachi’s separate Day and Night Memories for each source component deliver superior picture quality. Simply pressing the Day/Night button on the remote or using the automatic timer switches between bright daytime settings and high fidelity nighttime settings.
• The USB input provides the capability to view digital photographs.
• (2) HDMI™ audio/video inputs.
• (2) Wideband component inputs.
Additional highlights include anti-reflective screen coatings, multiple color temperatures, including a black-and-white film temperature, and 4-step black enhancement. The 42HDS52 will be available in June for a suggested retail price of $4,299 and the 55HDS52 will be available in October for a suggested retail price of $5,799.
UltraVision® CineForm™ Director’s Series™ HDX62 Plasma HDTV Series
The 42-inch 42HDT52 and 55-inch 55HDT52 include all of the features of the HDS52 series as well as several enhancements. Hitachi’s signature CineForm™ Series adds distinctive design elements to the form and finish of the products. The TV Guide On Screen® interactive programming guide offers convenient access to program and recording options to enhance the consumer experience. The HDT52 series also includes DV and IEEE1394 interfaces with full AV control to make recording to hard disk drives convenient and easy.
The 42HDT52 will be available in August for a suggested retail price of $4,399 and the 55HDT52 will be available in October for a suggested retail price of $5,899.
UltraVision® CineForm™ Director’s Series™ HDX62 Plasma HDTV Series
Hitachi’s top of the line UltraVision® CineForm™ Director’s Series™ models for 2005 include the 55-inch 55HDX62 and 42-inch 42HDX62 plasma HDTVs. The 42HDX62 and 55HDX62 models include all of the advanced technologies found in the HDT52 and HDS52 models, including the new VirtualHD™ 1080p II digital video processor. An adjustable Color Decoder and the Custom Color Temperature feature with four memories presents a new level of convenience and image customization to discerning videophiles. The CineForm™ Director’s Series™ Plasma HDTV line also feature exclusive high-end industrial design with sleek high gloss black highlights.
The new enhanced Digital Color Management III system can store two settings – one for the photo memory card input, and one for all other video settings for true color rendering. Both models are packaged in a high-gloss black CineForm™ finish featuring a deep-black anti-reflective shield that effectively absorbs ambient room light, reducing reflections for richer blacks and vibrant color. The Film Quality Image Tuning provides increased detail in shadows and highlights.
These Director’s Series™ models feature the exclusive Learning AV NET IV with Simple Remote, which concentrates the power of total home theater control into a small hand-held 12-button remote. This convenient and intuitive remote fits comfortably in the palm of the hand and can command an entire home theater system.
The 42HDX62 will be available in August at a suggested retail price of $5,499 and the 55HDX62 will be available in October at a suggested retail price of $6,999.
HDF52 Plasma HDTV and EDF42 Plasma EDTV Series
For consumers that desire the minimum television width, the 2005 plasma line also adds two new bottom speaker models in either high definition or enhanced definition.
The 42HDF52 features a 1024 x 1024 HDTV display resolution, a 10 percent brighter panel technology, high-aperture pixel design and pure HDTV blue phosphors with a black and titanium finish.
ATSC and NTSC tuners make it easy to tune into analog terrestrial or digital broadcasts and both models feature a VirtualHD™ Digital Video Processor to deliver smooth, sharp and accurate images.
Convenience features include 3:2 pull down to ensure a smooth and seamless display, multiple picture aspect modes, split screen and picture-in-picture, three color temperatures, SRS™ and BBE™ sound, digital 4MB 3D Y/C comb filter and an anti-reflective high-contrast glass shield.
The 42HDF52 and 42EDF42 will be available in June and August at suggested retail prices of $3,799 and $2,699, respectively.
HDL52 LCD Flat Panel HDTV Series
The 26HDL52, 32HDL52 and 37HDL52 LCD Flat Panel HDTV models (26-, 32- and 37-inch screen sizes, respectively) feature a slim bottom speaker design with a titanium and black bezel finish. The 32- and 37-inch model’s motorized swivel stands operate with a simple push of a remote control button. Hitachi’s original Super In-Plane Switching (S-IPS) LCD technology delivers superior viewing angles, faster response times and exceptional color purity. The VirtualHD™ video processor recreates the smooth image quality of cinematic content, and an anti-reflective screen ensures the best picture performance possible in any lighting environment. The NTSC and HDTV tuners make over-the-air channels quickly accessible. Superior connectivity and exclusive Hitachi high-performance features make these elegant HDTVs a remarkable value.
Combined with a 20-watt integrated speaker system with SRS™ Sound Enhancement, Hitachi’s flat panel sound systems complement any movie-watching experience. Other features include multiple aspect modes, split screen, computer inputs and 1366 x 768 resolution.
The 26HDL52, 32HDL52 and 37HDL52 will be available in August, September and October at suggested retail prices of $1,999, $2,699 and $3,499, respectively.
UltraVision® CineForm™ Director’s Series™ HLX61 LCD Flat Panel HDTV Series
Hitachi’s top of line 32HLX61 represents the most advanced combination of LCD HDTV design and engineering for a superior home theater experience. This high-gloss black model features the elegant CineForm™ design with a remote control power swivel. The VirtualHD™ 1080p video processor uses reverse 2:3 pull down for film originated 1080i sources for smooth film-like images with exceptional detail reproduction. For fast-action content typically found in sports programming, the 32HLX61 features Hitachi’s Motion Overdrive Circuit technology, which anticipates motion in the video signal to produce sharper and more detailed pictures. User-friendly features of the 32HLX61 include Learning AV NET III that simplifies the operation of the television with simple on screen soft keys, an Illuminated Roll & Click™ remote, Day and Night Memory by Input with Timer, photo file card USB input, parental locks and an Audio Video Control Center that reduces equipment wires to the display panel to just one cable.
For the maximum in connection compatibility the set also features dual HDMI™ and dual IEEE-1394 with basic audio video control capability. The thin form factor and attractive industrial design adds a brilliant HDTV experience into any living environment.
The 32HLX61 will be available in June at a suggested retail price of $3,799.
ABOUT HITACHI AMERICA, LTD., HOME ELECTRONICS DIVISION
Hitachi America, Ltd. Home Electronics Division produces and markets a wide variety of consumer electronics products, including high-definition plasma televisions and monitors, LCD and LCoS televisions and CRT televisions, as well as DVD camcorders and DVD players/recorders. In addition to consumer products, Hitachi also markets professional plasma monitors for business applications as well as security and observation system products.
Hitachi has a unique position in the marketplace manufacturing and developing its own core technologies to provide consumers and businesses with optimal product performance in each of Hitachi's product categories.
Hitachi America, Ltd., a subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd., markets and manufactures a broad range of electronics, computer systems and products, and consumer electronics, and provides industrial equipment and services throughout North America. For more information, visit www.hitachi.us.
Hitachi, Ltd., (NYSE: HIT), headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, is a leading global electronics company with approximately 347,000 employees worldwide. Fiscal 2004 (ended March 31, 2005) consolidated sales totaled 9,027.0 billion yen ($84.4 billion). The company offers a wide range of systems, products and services in market sectors including information systems, electronic devices, power and industrial systems, consumer products, materials and financial services. For more information on Hitachi, please visit the company’s Website at http://www.hitachi.com.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners. CableCARD is a trademark of Cable Television Laboratories Inc., TV Guide and other related marks are registered marks of Gemstar-TV Guide International, Inc. and/or one of its affiliates, HDMI is a trademark of HDMI Licensing, LLC.