1. Collection and Use of Your Personal Information
We collect your Personal Information on the Site to enhance the services we offer you, maintain and improve the Site, protect the security of you and our Site, comply with legal obligations, and inform you about other services and products that may be available through us, our affiliated companies, and our marketing partners. We collect Personal Information about you when you interact with or use services offered on this Site, such as:
- Apply for a job;
- Submit comments, reviews, or other user-generated content;
- Connect or interact with us through social networks (e.g., Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn, Twitter) or Live Chat;
- Request customer or technical support; and
- Prevent fraud and allow for safer web experiences.
Personal Information includes:
- Postal or billing address;
- E-mail address;
- Telephone or mobile number;
- Device being used (for our mobile site);
- Other relevant data.
Even if you do not send us any Personal Information, we collect certain non-personal information about how you use our Site. This non-personal information cannot identify you, and is used for statistical purposes.
2. Use and Sharing of Your Personal Information
Whatever the purpose may be – whether we share with service providers or other external entities – we only process and share your Personal Information to the extent reasonably necessary to fulfill your requests and meet our legitimate business and legal objectives. When we disclose Personal Information to external entities to perform support services for us, we establish by contract that they may access your Personal Information only for the purposes of performing those support services. We may also use what we know about you to offer you other products and services. We may combine your online information with information collected from offline or online sources, or information we already have. We may also use and disclose certain Personal Information to our affiliated companies and others for any purpose allowed by law.
Hitachi Business Activities. We generally process and may disclose your Personal Information to others to:
- Authenticating authorized users, and marketing our products and services;
- Perform certain transactions initiated by you;
- Respond to your questions, complaints, or reviews of our products;
- Send you communications about online transactions, product information, ads and promotions, electronic newsletters, or other notices you requested or offers tailored to you;
- Enable our advertisers to provide you with more personalized content, and track the effectiveness of certain advertising campaigns;
- Comply with applicable law, obey judicial orders, cooperate with law enforcement authorities, or prevent any suspected illegal activities;
- Help us run our business; or
- For any other everyday business purposes, such as product development and Site administration.
Location of Servers and Transfer of Information to the United States. While our Site is hosted on servers located in the United States, we operate our business globally, and some countries may not provide the same level of data protection as your home country.
3. Your Rights Concerning Your Personal Information
You have the following choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Information:
- Marketing Communications. If you no longer wish to receive any marketing communications, remain on a mailing list to which you previously subscribed, or receive any other communication from Hitachi, please follow the unsubscribe link in the relevant communications or contact us using the link at the bottom of the message. Even after you opt-out or update your marketing preferences, however, we may still contact you for transactional or informational purposes. These include, for example, customer service issues, returns or product-related inquiries, surveys or recalls, or any questions.
- Cookies and Similar Technologies. Please review your browser or computer settings for certain cookies and see below to exercise certain choices regarding cookies.
You are not required to provide all Personal Information identified in this Privacy Statement to use our Site, but certain aspects of our Site will not be available to you. However, you can use our services without consenting to non-essential cookies or direct marketing emails; the only consequence is that our products and services will be less communicated, we may not be able to provide the support you seek, and you may miss out on attractive promotions and news about our products and services.
4. Cookies and Similar Tracking Technologies
Information Collected Through Technology. Information is also obtained in other ways through technology we deploy. Some of this information may be linked to you personally. In accordance with applicable law, Hitachi uses and allows third parties to use essential and non-essential cookies, online tracking tools, web beacons, and similar technologies (collectively, “cookies”) on our Site. We process this information to help our Site function correctly, and better understand the needs of our customers.
Cookies on our Site generally fall into the following categories:
- Strictly Necessary Cookies: These are required for the operation of our Site. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas. These cookies are session cookies which are erased when you close your browser.
- Analytical/Performance Cookies: These allow us to recognize and count the number of users of our Site and see how those users navigate through our Site. This helps to improve how our Site works, for example, by ensuring that users can find what they are looking for easily. These cookies are session cookies which are erased when you close your browser.
- Functional Cookies: These improve the functional performance of our Site and make it easier for you to use. For example, cookies are used to remember that you have previously visited the Site and asked to remain logged into it. These cookies are session cookies which are erased when you close your browser.
We also use certain information to identify new visitors to our Site, recognize returning visitors, advertise on other websites and mobile applications not affiliated with us, analyze the effectiveness of our advertisements, better understand our audience, customers, or other Site visitors, and determine whether you might be interested in new products or services.
Controlling Our Tracking Tools. Your browser may give you the ability to control cookies. How you do so, however, depends on your browser and the type of cookie. Certain browsers or browser plugins can be set to reject all browser cookies. If you configure your computer to block all cookies, you may disrupt certain web page features, and limit the functionality we can provide when you visit or use our Site. (e.g., we will not be able to provide you with searches that you have asked us to save). You can change your cookie settings at any time. Some browsers have a “Do Not Track” feature that lets you tell websites that you do not want to have your online activities tracked. These browser features are still not uniform, so we are not currently set up to respond to those signals.
Controlling Online Interest-Based Ads. We sometimes work with online advertising vendors to provide you with relevant and useful ads. This may include ads served on or through our Site. This may also include ads served on other companies’ websites. These ads may be based on information collected by us or third parties. For example, your postal code may be used to target an ad for people in your area. These ads may also be based on your activities on our Site or on third-party websites.
For more information about our ad service provider and its cookies, including information about how to opt out of these technologies, you may visit http://optout.aboutads.info. In addition, users may prevent Google’s collection of data generated by your use of the Site (including your IP address) by downloading and installing a Browser Plugin available at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en.
The security and confidentiality of your Personal Information matters to us. That’s why we have adequate technical, administrative, and physical controls in place to protect your Personal Information from unauthorized access, use, and disclosure. We also review our security procedures periodically to consider appropriate new technology and updated methods. Even so, despite our reasonable efforts, no security measure is ever perfect or impenetrable.
6. Data Retention
Depending on the service you require, we will retain your Personal Information only for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Privacy Statement or as set out in our contracts with our business partners, unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by a law that applies to us.
This Site is not intended or directed to children under the age of 16, and we do not knowingly collect any Personal Information, or knowingly track the use of our Site, from such children. If Hitachi has actual knowledge that Personal Information about a child under 16 years old has been collected, then Hitachi will take the appropriate steps to remove or disable that Personal Information.
8. Changes or other updates to this Privacy Statement
We may amend this Privacy Statement at any time. If we make any material change in how we collect, use, disclose, or otherwise process Personal Information, we will prominently post an updated Privacy Statement on our Site. Any material changes to this Privacy Statement will be effective 10 days after our posting of the updated Privacy Statement or as otherwise required by applicable law. Where required to do so by law, we may seek your prior consent to any material changes we make to this Privacy Statement.
9. Comments and Questions
If you have any questions or concerns about this Privacy Statement or wish to correct or update your Personal Information, or unsubscribe from any updates you have requested, write to customer service at:
Hitachi America, Ltd.
Branding and Corporate Communications Group
50 Prospect Avenue
Tarrytown, NY 10591
United States of America
+1 (914) 332.5800
You may also send us an email at
Privacy Notice for California Residents
Personal Information Collection and Purposes of Use
Hitachi through this Site collects and uses the following categories of personal information regarding California residents: name, phone number, title, country/region and email address for consumers that ask questions, submit inquiries or information on our Site related to Hitachi, its products and services and name, email address, mobile and home phone numbers, and residential address and mailing address for consumers that have requested customer support for the following purposes of collection: to respond to such consumer’s questions about Hitachi, its products or services or to provide customer support for a product purchased.
Our Personal Information Handling Practices in the Preceding 12 Months
In the preceding 12 months, we have collected through the Site the following categories of personal information from California residents name, email address, title, country/region and phone number for consumers that have asked questions on our Site related to Hitachi, its products and services, and name, email, home and mobile phone numbers, and residential and mailing addresses for those in need of customer support for a product purchased.
We have collected through the Site that personal information from the following categories of sources: directly from those consumers submitting inquiries on our Site, those that have sent us emails, or those that have called Hitachi directly for customer support.
We have collected through the Site that personal information for the following purposes: to answer your questions related to Hitachi, its products or services and/or to provide customer support.
We have shared personal information with the following categories of third parties: third party service providers in order to respond to your inquiries and with whom we engage to diagnose, address and/or resolve your request for customer support for a product purchased.
We have collected through the Site the following specific pieces of personal information: email address, title, country/region mobile and home phone numbers, name and residential and mailing address for the reasons specified herein.
In the preceding 12 months, we have not sold personal information about consumers.
In the preceding 12 months, Hitachi disclosed consumers’ personal information only if necessary to our third party service providers or affiliates to respond to your inquiries about Hitachi, its products or services and for the purpose of diagnosing, addressing and/or resolving requests from a consumer for a product purchased.
California Residents’ Privacy Rights
California residents have rights to request access to or deletion of their personal information. If you are a California resident, you can submit such access or deletion requests with us as follows: contact us by email at or toll free at 800-HITACHI. The Company will undertake to verify that the consumer making the request is the consumer (or by a consumer on behalf of the consumer’s minor child or is authorized by the consumer) about whom the Company has collected personal information by matching the identifying information that the consumer (or by a consumer on behalf of the consumer’s minor child or is authorized by the consumer) has provided with the personal information maintained by the Company or through the use of a third party service provider.